Xebec - 1:60 (AMATI)
3. Decks Planking
1 - Two ways of plaking the decks
- The first traditional way in which the installation is well explained on pages 6 and 7 of the booklet of instructions by AMATI.
- The second less traditional way, that plan 1 of the kit is showing us.
- It is the installation of this deck, known as bent, which we will explain.
2 - Bent planking of the deck
- In order to bend the limewood strips which recover the decks, you have to build a "gutter" to bathe the strips in alcohol.
- The base of the main deck is cut in two equal parts.
- It is the planking of the port side part which is explained here. The planking of the starboard part will be only the repetition.
- 1. Work is done on a cutting board, large-sized (30x44cm approximately).
- 2. The half-base is fixed to well maintain it blocked towards the top (of the photograph) and laterally.
- 3. A drilling machine is necessary to make the holes of the pins. The bore is slightly smaller than the diameter of the axis of the pins, to hold them well.
- 4. Three pins immobilize the half-base.
- 5. A strip of 3mm x 3mm of section approximately is leaned and bent against the edge of the half-base. Bending is done by partially whitewashing the strip with alcohol, after the installation of a pin.
- Video Explanation
- Glue cyano gel is applied in small drops along next glueing. Be careful not to put too much glue.
- The glue cyano gel has the advantage of not drying at free air and of gluing only if there is no more air between the two parts to be glued. The air is thus expelled by the pressure on the two parts.
- A limewood strip is retained in the "gutter", where it has bathed in alcohol for 1/2 hour. This strip was already blackened on an edge with a soft pencil, to imitate caulking.
- After having wiped the strip, pass again the soft pencil on the section.
- The gluieng of the strip starts in its medium. Press well the strip against the preceding one, already glued. There are so two pressures to make on the strip, one towards the side of the preceding strip, the other towards the base of the deck.
- Once the strip glued, take the small wood chisel and remove the burs of glue, even if they are small. They could obstruct the joint between the strips.
- The planking finished, the deck is released from the cutting board, and is turned over. The openings and the edges of the half-deck are then cut and adjusted.
- The final sanding of the floor is done with sandpaper, a razor blade and steel wool.
- Finish the completion, after the glueing of the decks on the frames, with a matte varnish.
Copyright © 2011 Hubert Sicard